Home Open Account Help 29 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP Blue Mt. Oregon Coal Meet 7-25-1994 Pt.2

Date: 05/11/18 09:14
UP Blue Mt. Oregon Coal Meet 7-25-1994 Pt.2
Author: RailRat

I traveled a little further east along I-84 and then the old highway, pulled off at Kamela Summit,Oregon and was rewarded with this catch of the same empty coal Eastbound, squealing to a stop, to let the Loaded Westbound Coal grind up and past, and then the East bound releasing brakes and proceeding East, as the loaded Westbound Coal proceeded West. All in All a great rest stop, during the trip home to Twin Falls, from the Orkin Pest Man's Pacific Northwest meeting in Pasco.

Please note: You may have to download video for smooth playback.
Video is stuttering on my device, but some of that is due to a not-so-fast Internet speed right now.😂

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/18 22:22 by RailRat.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/11/18 11:30
Re: UP Blue Mt. Oregon Coal Meet 7-25-1994 Pt.2
Author: ACL3042

Jim,

The loaded coal train doesn't seem to have as many cars as the empty! Do you remember if the UP split up the loads into two trains getting them up the grade?
Thanks,
Rex

Date: 05/11/18 22:31
Author: RailRat

ACL3042 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
>
> The loaded coal train doesn't seem to have as many
> cars as the empty! Do you remember if the UP split
> up the loads into two trains getting them up the
> grade?
> Thanks,
> Rex

I think they were splitting some Westbound trains in Nampa,Idaho back then, due to weight, or short sidings in the mountains, or something like that, sounds familiar, not 100% sure though. :-)

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 05/12/18 13:07
Author: johncarr

Jim,

The PGEX trains served the Portland General Electric plant near Boardman, OR. In 1996 the trains generally loaded at Black Thunder with a few trains loading at the Rochelle or Antelope mines. If I remember correctly, the average cost of BTM coal was around $6 a ton and PGE paid $18.81 a ton (coal plus transportation) in 1996.

John Carr in Dallas, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/18 19:19 by johncarr.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 1526969443.155 seconds